About the Program
In Rhythm Kids classes, we drum, sing, and move to rhythms and music from around the world. The Rhythm Kids curriculum is an international, research-based music immersion program developed specifically for families with preschoolers and early elementary students aged 4 to 8 years. Classes are designed to help children develop their rhythm skills and gain a deeper level of musical understanding, preparing them for formal music instruction. The program includes:
- learning drumming patterns through playful animal-themesd rhythmic chants
- experiencing and improvising with new repertoire using a range of percussion instruments
- ensemble and solo singing and drumming
- playing dynamic group movement activities and folk dances
- creating imaginative movements, improvising patterns, and sharing ideas with the group
- learning to take charge and lead others (like a conductor) as well as listen respectfully and follow peers/teacher when it is their turn to lead
TRY A FREE CLASS
What if my child has never taken a Music Together class. Can they still join Rhythm Kids? Absolutely! Children who have previously taken Music Together classes will recognize a few songs and be familiar with beginning concepts shared in class. But any child will be able to transition into the class and will quickly benefit from the material.
How much class time is spent drumming? While drumming is an important part of the class, it is not exclusively or even primarily a drumming class. The newest aspect of the curriculum (in comparison with other Music Together offerings) is the teaching of the drumming patterns adapted from or inspired by multicultural drumming traditions, as demonstrated in videos for the students which are almost like "a private lesson with Tom." We teach the drumming patterns in chant form first and then transfer that rhythmic learning to the drum and into movement, including traditional folk dance. Classes will vary, but approximately 25-50% of the class time may include drumming.